The holidays are one of the most beautiful times, as we spend time with family and friends, decorate our homes and neighborhoods and exchange gifts with our loved ones! Especially this year, we wish with all our hearts that we all have a really full of holidays that will lead to better days for!
As, we would like these days to be exaggerated only in terms of our love and fun! But we can not ignore that it is a period when our choices are extremely burdensome for the environment. So as we all get ready for the holidays, we want to share some suggestions that will make the more "green" holidays.
1. Choose your tree and ornaments correctly
Fake trees are produced on a huge scale, require increased resources in production and are not recycled. THE of natural trees also has an impact on the environment, but in the end they are less than those of the fake, making the natural tree a more ecological choice. However, if you choose a fake tree, it is important to take care of it so that it "lives" for many years and to choose one that will suit the needs of your space for a long time. You could choose one a tree in a pot which you will take care of the rest of the time on the balcony and you will see it grow year by year.
When it comes to ornaments, whether they are plastic or other material, again the most important thing is to choose them to accompany your celebrations for years. Of course we suggest as much as you can and you are in the mood to make your own ornaments either for the tree or for the house and there are endless ideas on the internet to start with materials you already have at home or with old ornaments. The most beautiful ornaments are the ones that mean something to us and we are glad to see them every year decorating the tree and our space.
The holidays are a time of consumerism, but the more you choose local artists or smaller shops, the more you avoid the environment. The same is true if you choose to shop online. The distance that one has to travel to come to you, is directly related to broadcasts carbon required for its transport.
3. Choose the right lights
atmosphere without lights is not possible. But every year you have to see which lights work and which do not and run for new ones, creates additional and ultimately costs more. We recommend LED lights, which do not burn as much and have a long life. Especially for the balcony, if you find LED lights with solar panel, even better. Old damaged lights should be moved to recycling industry.
4. Think of different gifts
Finding a gift that you know will give joy to the recipient is exactly what we want at Christmas. But here is a point where our purchases are accompanied by an increased volume of garbage: bags / bags. wrapping paper (which is not the most easily recyclable material), plastic packaging and more. Some ideas on how to reduce them:
- Give a gift of experience. You can make a difference by making gifts like, for theater, massage appointments, make invitations to visit a winery or in a museum.
- Sometimes the "old" is really different. There are many options that although used, some items are of great value. Choose a gift such as real vintage clothes, records and second hand books, furniture and second-hand items.
- Creative children's gifts. No one can say no to a child who wants something for Christmas. In some cases, however, it is worth choosing a gift from natural materials such as wood, a toy that does not require batteries such as puzzles, books or gifts of experience again, such as for cinema or and escape rooms games.
- Packages and wrappers: ideal if you can avoid them completely. The gift counts, after all. If you have the choice, get a package from recycled material. If you are more creative you can wrap the gifts yourself with pages from old magazines, old ribbons that you have at home, or of your children.
5. Lay the right table
A big part of the festivities is getting together at a table with loved ones. Try as much as possible to reduce food waste by calculating the right amounts. If there is leftover food, you can have provided for so that your guests can take home a package or give it somewhere needed. Finally, although many times the glasses and disposable and the membrane is an easy solution, as much as possible should be avoided, as they end up years later still in some garbage, since they are not recycled.
6. Find what you will do with your old things
Whether you bought new things yourself or received gifts, there will be older clothes, appliances, toys that you no longer need. Find an organization that you value so that you can donate it so that someone else can enjoy it after you.
In the, we believe that everyone can make choices that will have a more positive impact on the environment, so we hope you found at least one of these ideas useful and motivated you to try.
Whatever you do, we wish you a good time and that the days are full of happy moments.
Happy Holidays to everyone!
Niki & Poly